Connect With WoburnFacebookTwitter
Your GovernmentOur CommunityCity ServicesHow Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Getting Married
Planning Your Wedding
In Massachusetts one of the most important steps in planning for a wedding – whether a religious or secular ceremony – is obtaining a marriage license. If the wedding is to be performed in Massachusetts, the couple can obtain the license from any City Clerk or Town Clerk in Massachusetts. The Office of the City Clerk is ready to assist you in completing this part of your wedding preparations.

Obtaining Your Marriage License
In order to obtain a marriage license, the couple must appear together in the office of the City Clerk. The couple must each have a government issued photo identification, such as a driver's license, Massachusetts ID card, or a passport. Blood tests are no longer required in Massachusetts. There are three forms that the couple must complete. This is known as filing the intention of marriage.

The couple cannot receive the marriage license until the fourth day after filing the Intention, unless a court order is obtained. For example, if a couple files the intention on a Monday, the license cannot be issued until Thursday. Therefore, a couple should plan for this waiting period when applying. Also, the wedding ceremony must be performed within 60 days of the date of filing the marriage intention or the process must be started over, including payment of the filing fee. If the couple applies two to three weeks before the ceremony, that is adequate time.

The fee for filing a marriage intention in Woburn is $30. After the wedding, the officiant - that is the religious official or justice of the peace who presides at the ceremony - will sign and file the license with the City Clerk. Once the license is received from the officiant, certified copies can be issued to the couple. When the couple applies for the license, they can also pre-pay for certified copies which will be mailed to the address that they request once the original is received from the officiant. 

To ensure that you have sufficient time to complete the paperwork and have any questions that you may have about the license answered, it is recommended that you arrive at least one hour before the office closes for the day. In any event, you must arrive at least fifteen minutes before the office closes to file a marriage intention. With this in mind, the hours for arriving at city hall to file the marriage intention are as follows:

Monday – Wednesday 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.

The City Clerk is available to provide Justice of the Peace services.